>> November/December 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter November/December Great cities have great symphony orchestras, and Fort Worth is no exception. The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra received rave national reviews this January at its Carnegie Hall debut with the exciting Miguel Harth-Bedoya conducting. The New York Times hailed the concert as “first rate…a milestone for the orchestra.” While the Peruvian-born Harth-Bedoya is recognized as a fast-rising star, one cannot overlook the talent among the 65 full-time musicians under him who come from Russia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, China, Japan, Argentina, Taiwan and the United States.
The FortWorth Symphony performed its first concert in 1912, but disbanded during World War I because of a shortage of musicians. It reorganized in 1919, but officially took off in December 1925 under the baton of beloved violinist Brooks Morris, who conducted his premier concert to a capacity crowd of 4,000 in the auditorium of the First Baptist Church, where 300 people were turned away. The program opened with Saint Saens’ “Bacchanale from ‘Sampson and Delilah’” and closed with Tschaikowsky’s [sic] “Marche Slave.”

>> September/October 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter September/October The hamburger world’s epicenter sizzles at the curving sign of “CHAS. KINCAID GRO. MARKET” at 4901 Camp Bowie Boulevard. Food critics have zeroed in on it, the national media have featured it, and journalists have long lauded it, most lovingly in the 1999 book, The Perfect Hamburger. Generations of Arlington Heights residents know Kincaid’s intimately.
Ron and Lynn Gentry own this 21st century incarnation of the old corner-grocery enterprise. A Kincaid heir owns the land and the building, and a recent crisis involving the lease was resolved so that the Zagat-rated eatery could stay in its original quarters. Meanwhile, the Gentry’s burger universe is expanding with the recent launch of three other Kincaid’s Hamburgers in the metroplex.
For those who mourn the decline of the independent corner grocery store, the story of Kincaid’s is a saga with a happy twist. We are fortunate they were successful in negotiating a new long-term lease for their Camp Bowie location, allowing them to remain an important member of our community.

>> July/August 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter July/August How many times have you driven past the massive Greek temple on Camp Bowie Boulevard and Hulen Street and wondered what went on inside? It’s rare to see any activity outside the building, but there’s a lot going on inside and even more history behind it.
For the last 86 years, the Classic Revival architectural icon has served as the headquarters for Arlington Heights Masonic Lodge 1184, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. It is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark and is the oldest lodge building in Tarrant County, older by almost ten years than the monumental Masonic Center at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Henderson Street, near downtown. It is also one of the oldest buildings on Camp Bowie Boulevard, predating everything near it except the 1909 Arlington Heights School at 5100 El Campo Avenue and First Church of Christ, Scientist (which was built in 1922 as Arlington Heights Presbyterian Church) at 4705 Camp Bowie. The Tarrant County Historic Resources Survey indicates that the Masonic building is eligible for listing with the National Register of Historic Places.

>> May/June 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter May/June When heavy rains hit the West Side, television news crews head straight to Hulen Street and Bryce Avenue where they know they can almost always find good visuals. And sure as clockwork, video of a floating car or two heading towards Western Avenue ends up on the 10 o’clock news.
Those of us who live here know this first hand, especially the folks who live on Western and Carleton Avenue near Bryce, some of whom have experienced devastating property damage from torrential rain, some of them multiple times. Their flash flood stories could fill volumes of books.

>> March/April 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter March/April Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association took home the top honor as Fort Worth’s “2007 Neighborhood of the Year” at the Annual Neighborhood Workshops and Awards Luncheon sponsored by the City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth League of Neighborhood Associations on Saturday February 9. Mayor Mike Moncrief delivered the keynote address.
This is the first time for AHNA to receive the city’s most prestigious neighborhood award which includes a $200 cash prize and a plaque. Cited for having the best combined social, physical and collaborative revitalization efforts, AHNA was recognized for its comprehensive programs, including re-zoning 600 single-family homes from Two-Family/Duplex zoning to Single Family zoning, the 9th annual Thanksgiving potluck dinner, publication of the 2007 Directory of Neighborhood Businesses, establishing the first historic district in Arlington Heights, the New Neighbor Welcome Bag program, gas drilling education events, the street topper program, along with a number of other activities.

>> January/February 2008 Neighborhood Newsletter January/February The west side of Fort Worth was nothing but wide open prairie until the 1880s when the railroad boom transformed the area into a major livestock shipping center. Speculators, including Fort Worth attorney Robert McCart and Chicago financier Tom Hurley, took note and began buying up large tracts of acreage on the west side of Fort Worth, even though The New York Times disparaged it as a “waste of land.”
Denver real estate developer H. B. Chamberlin and his brother Alfred saw opportunity in the vast Texas landscape. After building an empire by developing Denver’s suburbs, including the Capitol Hill area, the ambitious brothers bought 2,000 acres on Fort Worth’s west side in 1890, envisioning a streetcar line and a boulevard to transport visitors to their opulent, new suburb. A lake and park were planned, along with an electric plant and waterworks.
They named their new suburb Chamberlin Arlington Heights and began promoting it nationally, drawing investors and prosperous locals to their American Investment and Land Company. By this time in his career, Humphrey Barker Chamberlin had already enjoyed success in several other fields.